VMime has two licensing options available. For more information about why these licenses were chosen, please visit the Dual Licensing Model page.
License Comparison Chart
|License cost||License fee charged||Free|
|Must provide source code changes to VMime||Modified source code of VMime must be provided|
|Can create proprietary applications||Yes, in accordance with the GNU LGPL v3 terms and exceptions for VMime
|No, applications are subject to the GPL and source code must be made available|
||Yes, freely distributed on this site|
|Number of developers||One, Five or Unlimited, depending on the license
Open Source License (GNU GPL)
We are supporters of Free and Open Source software (FOSS). This is the appropriate option if you are creating an Open Source application with a license compatible with the GNU GPL version 3. This license is free of charge.
We are currently working on an Open Source License Exception for FOSS Applications which are released under licenses which are not compatible with GNU GPL v3.
This is the appropriate option if you are creating proprietary applications which use VMime and do not want to distribute and share the source code of your application under the GNU GPL license.
The VMime commercial license actually is the GNU Lesser GPL license with the following exceptions:
- You may link, statically or dynamically, your application with VMime, and you may distribute the resulting combined work under terms of your choice, without any of the additional requirements listed in clause 6 of the GNU Lesser General Public License;
- You must either 1) purchase a Single Developer License for each developer who uses VMime in your company, or 2) purchase a Five Developers License if you have at most 5 developers who use VMime in your company, or 3) purchase an Unlimited Developers License;
- You may NOT relicense the VMime code or grant the rights to anyone;
- The license is not transferable, directly, indirectly or through a sale/merge/etc.
This license does not require your application to be GPL-compatible (ie: you are NOT forced to release your source code under the GNU (L)GPL v3 license), nor to touch anything to your application or your license: you may link your proprietary application against VMime library without sharing your source code.
- Are royalty-free;
- Remove any obligations to release your source code under the GNU GPL; however, any change made to the VMime codebase should be published and brought back to the community (as with the GNU Lesser GPL license);
- Are perpetual and include all public upgrades that are released after the date of purchase, for lifetime;
- Are on a per developer basis. In your company, each person who works on an application, module or user interface which makes use of one or more VMime components is considered a developer, and requires to purchase one commercial licence.
You can purchase a commercial license online:
If you are not sure what license to use, or if you have any question about VMime licensing, please feel free to contact us.
Please note: individual technical assistance or custom support is not included with Commercial License. If you are looking for Premium individual support (quick and guaranteed answer, custom feature development…), please contact us (additional fees apply).